Egress addes value and safety to your home. Before you decide to add them, consider the following:
- Having an egress window allows you to add that living space to the calculations of your home's overall square footage. This, in turn, increases the value of your home.
- According to Popular Mechanics magazine, the value added could be as much as 10 times you spend on installation costs.
- Egress windows allow added emergency escape routes.
- Added sunlight to living space savces you energy costs over the long term.
- Extra ventilation improves air quality.
- It needs to be done to code.
- If not done correctly, it could direct water into your basement.
- Installations may cause a little bit of dust.
- The excavation needed may cause some landscape disturbance.
- It is a difficult undertaking and should only be done by professionals.